Monday, July 25, 2011

Good Day!

I am just about in tears of excitement and joy as I type this!! Cooper is such a trooper and he is a champ at breathing. He is doing so good!! They actually put him on a nasal cannula {A nasal cannula is a thin, plastic tube that delivers oxygen directly into the nose through two small prongs. It’s used in adult and pediatric patients alike as a type of respiratory support}. He is currently at 27% oxygen, but they just put it on so it will slowly be lowered to 21%. HOW GREAT does he look??!!

I have to say, I have been in Colorado and have not seen him in about 11 days.... I'm going through Cooper withdrawals...

He is currently 3 pounds 15.5 ounces and 15.25 inches long. {that 3 inches gained since birth!}

He is also managing his own body temperature. They have the lid to his isolete up, and he is in clothes and swaddled. He seems to be hot natured, so he is not having any troubles staying warm!

Praise God for all of this good news.

Keep praying for continued improvement in breathing and growth and that he is a champ at the nasal cannula! Pray for continued steps towards a homecoming. - Feeding out of bottle, no apnea's or bradycardias, good breathing and growth, digestion.... so many hurdles to go over before going home!

Keep J&K in prayers too. Good news is great, but it is also very easy to get tired and feel like you are on a never ending roller coaster. Pray for their spirits, and they still need plenty of rest.


  1. We are so happy to see how he is progressing and pray he will continue to grow stronger each day. Gene & Lil Gantz

  2. Looking Good, prayers still coming from NY!

  3. I first learned about Baby Cooper after seeing a friend on Facebook post about his blood drive. I started reading your blog then, and little did I know that what I read here would come to fruition in my own life.

    At 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant I went into labor. My delivery was normal, but my baby girl had trouble breathing shortly after birth. The NICU nurse was called down to observe her. She made the decision to observe her more closely in the NICU for a few hours. Then the long wait came, and the NICU doctor came to my room and said they were admitting her so they could do further testing on her lungs.

    I never imagined that my baby even after 37 weeks would ever end up needing the help of the NICU. With all the help of Harris' amazing NICU staff, she was able to come home Monday after a week. Her time there was exhausting on our family to say the least, but we did whatever we had to do to make sure she was going to be ok. After I was dishcarged from the hospital, I spent a few 13.5 hour days up there. My family got just a little taste of what your family is going through right now, and my heart breaks knowing the strain and stress it causes having a baby needing that much care.

    There is nothing like getting to walk next to your baby out of those NICU doors, loading them in their carseat, and getting to step into your home as a new family for the first time. I cannot wait for that moment for Baby Cooper.

    I pray for Baby Cooper and your whole family through this difficult time, and I know what good hands God has placed him in with the staff up there.

    The Kunkel Family